In the year 1918 our Society was founded by Late Jagannatha Ballal of Katapadi Beedu under the control of Madras Government. Till 1979, since the society was mainly doing business of supplying and distributing agricultural implements, chemical fertilizers, seeds, pesticides, ration items to local agriculturists, growth was not to the expected level. After taking over the management from the department of co-operative societies by the managing committee headed by late Dr. S. Ramananda Bhat, Sri Sanjeeva Kanchan, Sri P.K. Sathyanarayana, Sri Chandrashekar Shettigar under the leadership of Sri T. Shanbhu Shetty and due to the selfless service of Sri Jayakar Shetty Indrali as the General Manager, the growth and progress of the society found new dimension.
The Society has a fully computerised Administrative Office in its own building ``Chethana`` Commercial complex in Mission Compound, Udupi, with 14 rooms being rented to others for various purposes. In addition to a fully computerised Air-conditioned Headquarters and Main branch at Udupi, it works in 9 fully computerised branches at Indrali, Bailur – Korangrapady, Udyavara, Ambagilu, Udupi – City branch in the heart of Udupi, Malpe branch in sea-shore Malpe, Shirva branch in Shirva – Manchakal, Kukkikatte Branch near diana theatre Kukkikatte. Out of these except Bailur branch remaining all are operating in their own buildings. One of the key requirements of the Society, a Conference Hall, and named “Jagannatha Sabha Bhavana” is constructed in memory of the founder of the Society, Late Katapady Beedu Jagannatha Ballal. It has been set up to equip 400 to 500 seats.